Thursday, June 21, 2007

Memories inside a Drawer.....

A bad net connection and an even worse volatage situation at home has ensured very few posts in the last few days.I have been packing and buying for most part of this week and am now basically done with most of the packing.

It is funny in a sad way to go through all the drawers. You simply have no idea how many memories they treasure within their closed and dark interiors.Going through ancient drawers has been the most difficult part of the process of leaving home till now.

This one particular drawer is an ancient one. It is mostly neat and organised. I can take a few things from that drawer I decide for myself as I start taking out stuff one after the other, fingering each item that my eager fingers find and reliving memories associated with it.

There is this beautiful hand made birthday card from Dada(my nana ji), who is a renowned artist.I am his favourite grandchild.
Inside the card which has Lord Ganesh on the front , in his beautiful artistic hand writing are these words in Hindi.

'Tejaswini Pyari RP,

Jeevan ho prasson sa,
Mann nache mayur sa,

Tej ho suraj sa,
Bhagya ho chand sa.

-Dada
-Nani''

I spent some time staring at the card. Both my grandparents are 80+, Nani has not been keeping well these days and each time I meet her, I fear it will be the last. I went over to my grand parents for 3 days last week. There was so much of love around me that I cannot even try to put it in words.Since I am as it is emtionally very volatile these days, I almost broke down into tears when it was time to leave everyone . 15 people whom you pretty much love like anything, standing outside an ancient house where you have spent some of the best few days of your life , waving a bye at you sitting in an about to speed off car......

I shirk off the memory and dive into the drawer once again.
There is this HUGE birthday card from Bhai.It is a simple card.There is a cute girl wearing a pink ribbon in her hair on the front.

It says:

'Didi,

I might have taken
The pampering for granted
in all these years

But never the love behind it all.

Love always,
Bhai.'

I have never ever read these simple words without having silent , helpless tears cascade down my cheeks.Never ever. Not even now.

There is a letter from my cousin tucked in some remote corner of the drawer . I take it out and go through it . The letter consists of the type of nonsense sisters in class 8 somehow manage to write each time, without fail . However, just below the main letter are a few lines which have been unsuccessfully hidden by a scrap of paper which has not even been glued propely. On top of this piece of paper is written the following:

'Didi, please do not remove this scrap of paper'.

So, when on the morning of my 21st birthday I got the letter, I immeditaely removed the scrap of paper to see what was written under it.

This is what was written:

Didi, I do not think I am supposed to tell you this but a surprise birthday party has been planned for you .All your friends are being invited in the evening . But you are not supposed to know this .

I spent the evening pretending to be surprised at the very expected turn of events unfolding in front of my eyes.

Hehee..but it is such a cute letter , and she so innocently told me of the surprise birthday party that I cannot help but smile each time I see that letter and recall how I had to keep pretending to be surprised the whole of that evening!

Then there is this weird thing in my drawer. I had a crush in college, I never spoke much to him and he spent his days in college telling everyone what a responsible girl RP is. Huh!
Anyways, so he had given me that thing. Just like that, he had one extra and he thrust it at me while we were waiting ,in college, for an event to begin which I was supposed to host.
'Here, you keep this', he had said smiling.
It has been over 3 years since that day and I sure have kept it!

There are sets of bangles kept neatly in boxes.I open each of the boxes and finger the pink, blue and silver bangles. My Mum has no sense of which bangle will go with which suit/ saree. I always do that for her. For a moment I sit and wonder who will do that now.

There is a green and yellow wind chime.It is all tangled and messed up now. It was very pretty once . It is so symbolic. Read on.A good friend of mine gave it to me on my birthday. We were such good friends, I recall and something somewhere hurts at the memory of what happened later. We studied together for CAT, used to go for the AIMCATs, do quanttogether , discuss questions hell, we even had adjacent rooms for the actual CAT exam. Then I got thru a b skul and she could not convert any call, so she stopped talking to me, stopped talking my calls, stopped replying to messages. I remember calling her up many times even when I was holidaying in Chandigarh and Simla. BUt she would not take my calls.

Then she called me when both of us had cleared the written round of this job inteview, that day was like the old days, I did not question her much about the calls and everthing was , it seemed, back to normal.Then I got through and she was chucked out. So, well...she stopped talking again.
So, now we do not speak, without even a single fight, no harsh words spoken, nothing .For me she was a good friend but for her I was just competition.....it is sad, but it is also a lesson.An important one.

Now, you tell me, what should I leave and what do I take with me? Which memory do I let go of, what part of myself do I leave behind?
This is going to be such a big change for me that I cannot even begin to put it in words. When I was done with the drawer I sat in my room for a long time, thinking .Thoughts pressed against my mind and my heart felt heavy and laden.

RP.

14 comments:

Neihal said...

ah!!

I cant say anything except I that thoroughly enjoyed reading and re-reading it. :)

naween said...

kuchh nahi, bas itnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa saara pyar le kar jayiye ap b-skool...

Anshul Agrawal said...

I dont have words to express myself buy really njoied reading this one...

Anonymous said...

every time u write, my eyes r filled wid tears

creepa said...

hehhe..Ur cousin's letter was too damn cute :P :)!
Dont feel sad re..all the memories shall stay with u Forever!
Just a matter of few years dear:)!

Now give us a smile...thodi sii badi...yess! Thts lik a gud girl :D ! :P

All the bestt!

Rahul... in City of Dreamz said...

Just one word for your post yaar --- Beautiful... really beautiful.

Isnt it strange... we keep on looking for love and happiness all our lives, and all it takes is a peek in the drawer to realize how much loved and cared we all are...

and ooooohhh.... RP had a crush too.... hmmm... this one i gotta know ;).. maybe in ur post!

and abt memorie... good or bad... always keep them with u... bcoz the good ones make u cherish the good ol' times over and over again... and the bad ones help u learn a lesson.. never to be repeated again..

but one thing is for sure... its just a sea of emotions out there... its great that u r letting it flow...

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

.... hmmm... Life.... moves on .. sint it :) .. keeps showing you new things ....

Waise my exp. is love increases with distance .... not saying it wud be any less b4re .. just that it will further increase after .

And again from exp. hostel life is another one you will have loads of tear for onec you leave for another tragedies of life called work....

Anonymous said...

Open your drawer, O friend,
let the thoughts free,
for these musty thoughts,
shall pain always thee,
forsake the memories,
how ever sacred they be(e),
for thoughts of pain,
bring anything but glee,
and remembering that joy,
shall rob your peace, you see,
so open all drawers of the mind,
and let all your memories free.

R said...

@neihal--:) reading your comment even I re read my own post :P

@naween--joh hukum sarkar [:P]

@anshul -thanks :)

@anonymous--aap who hoying? do I know you?

@beti--one beeeeeeeg simle for u! happy?

@rahul---aah, am glad u liked it, just random thoughts in my head actually!

@the myth--aah, wise words from the wise one :)
what you have said, hopefully , will be true!

@:)--jus one word, WOW!

Daroga said...

sab le jao ji.... chhorne ki kaa zaroorat hai.... bahut beautiful memories hain :)
ALL THE BEST for the new college :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! I understand how it feels, leaving a part of you behind but thats life n at times life is cruel!

Don't worry bacha, you have many many more memories to collect, from other places as well. So just go ahead with a positive attitude coz its the fact that just as every person who meets us, leaves a part of them with us, in the form of 'memory', we also leave a part of us with others. Just take the smiling moments along coz you need them more while you're away :)

Wish you all the luck :)

R said...

@adarsh--yeh bhi achcha hai,., sab hileh chalati hu :P

btw, u did get my mail , ryt?

@aati di--hmmm...inni sensible baatein ?
:P
aap sahi bol rahi ho! and thanks for the nice wishes:)

Unknown said...

Aarti di se aati di ho gayi main? :P
As for sensible baatein, main badi ho gayi hoon yaar, shaadi vaadi ho gayi hai hamaar, dikhna bhi toh chahiye na. hehehe :P:P

jj said...

beautiful!